Frequently asked questions

What sorts of experts do you have on your panel?

Our panel is diverse and experienced.  We have a range of surgeons (including orthopaedic, gastrointestinal, and plastic), dental surgeons, psychiatrists, psychologists, GPs, speech and language therapists, country of origin experts, and more and pain specialist.  Our panel is constantly expanding as more and more experts join our team.  To view our current list of experts, click here.

How does the funding process work?

For privately funded cases, the instructing solicitor usually arranges the funding on their client’s behalf but in situations where a solicitor does not have the facility to hold client accounts, we are able to accept direct payment via invoice.  In most criminal cases and in some other types of proceedings, our fees are met via prior authority from the Legal Aid Agency.  The application for Legal Aid is made by the instructing solicitor.

Are you compliant with the Information Commissioners Office?

Yes, we are and our registration number is A8217685

How quickly can I get my report?

Our experts can turnaround a report within 14 days of assessing your client providing that all required documentation is available to the expert prior to the assessment.

Which areas of the country do you cover?

We cover the majority of the country including:

  • London and the South East (Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Hampshire, Kent, Oxfordshire, Surrey, East Sussex West Sussex).
  • The East (Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk).
  • The Midlands (Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Shropshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire and Rutland).
  • Yorkshire and the Humber.
  • The North East (Tyne and Wear, County Durham, Northumberland and North Yorkshire).
  • The North West (Cheshire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Merseyside).
  • South West (Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and Somerset)
  • Wales
  • Scotland
What sorts of disorders can your psychiatric experts diagnose?
  • Personality disorders
  • Schizophrenia and delusional disorders
  • Mood disorders (depression, bipolar affective disorder and persistent affective disorders such as cyclothymia and dysthymia)
  • Neurotic and stress-related disorders (including phobic anxiety disorders, panic disorder, generalised anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, stress reactions, post-traumatic stress disorder and adjustment disorder)
  • Dissociative and somatoform disorders (e.g. dissociative motor disorders and somatisation disorder)
What qualifications do your experts have?

Our medical, surgical, and dental experts have basic medical/dental degrees and a wealth of postgraduate education.  Our other experts, including our country of origin experts hold academic positions and have well-respected affiliations.  Our psychiatric experts are approved by the Secretary of State under Section 12(2) of the Mental Health Act 1983, as amended in 2007.  Many of our experts hold specialist expert witness certificates, such as the Bond Solon Expert Witness Certificate in criminal, civil and family proceedings.

Do you work in Prison Law?

Yes, we support the rights of offenders while they are in prison.  Mental disorders are overrepresented in prisoners – it is estimated that 1 in 7 prisoners has a serious mental disorder.  Prison itself may increase the incidence of mental disorder but there are other factors which affect the high incidence of mental disorder within the prison population.  Prisoners are more at risk of mortality, suicide, self-harm, violence and victimisation compared to the general population.  We can support solicitors providing representation to prisoners who are appealing their sentence or conviction, questioning the category of prison in which they are imprisoned and seeking transfer to another prison.  Our experts are also experienced in providing evidence to the Parole Board.

Can the expert travel to my client?

Most of our medical, surgical, and dental experts require their clinic environment to conduct their assessment.  Some of our experts can provide remote assessments and some of our experts will travel to assess your client (for example if you require a psychiatric, psychological or speech and language therapist report for someone who is detained in hospital, prison or an immigration and removal centre).

Do you have any experts who can give evidence in inquests?

Yes, we have experts who are experienced in giving evidence in inquests and oral evidence at coroner’s court.  Many of our medical experts have been called to give evidence at inquests.  Depending on your client’s case, you may need to instruct any one of our specialists’ disciplines.  Some of our experts, including our forensic psychiatrists, have specialist experience in providing evidence in cases of death in custody.

Can you provide urgent reports?

We are often asked to provide urgent reports.  Our ability to meet these demands depends on the nature of the case and the availability of our experts.  If we do not think that we will be able to meet your needs, we will tell you at the earliest opportunity.

How do I get a quotation for an expert witness report?

If you are interested in working with any of our expert’s witnesses please use the link below to request more information.

Request to download the team’s CVs here