Dr Michael Shortt is a skilled and experienced consultant forensic psychiatrist who leads both inpatient and community mental health services. He provides expert evidence for criminal, civil and family courts. Dr Shortt also has extensive experience working with immigration tribunals.
Instructing Dr Michael Shortt
If you want to instruct Dr Shortt or if you want to discuss using Dr Shortt for your case, please contact us.
Experience of giving evidence
Dr Shortt has provided expert experience in criminal courts over several years in relation to the following matters:
- Fitness to plead
- Diminished responsibility
- Capacity to form intent
- Sentence under provision of section 37/41 of the Mental Health Ac
Dr Shortt also provides expert evidence in family and civil courts. He is well acquainted with the provision of evidence to the Health Education and Social Care Chamber First – tier Tribunal – Mental Health.
- English – Fluent
- Pre-Sentencing Reports
- Risk Assessments, Risk Dangerousness
- Fitness to Plead, Disposal Options
- Attempted Murder, Murder, GBH, ABH (section 18, section 20)
- Sexual Offending, SOPO
- Domestic Violence
- Loss of control
- Hospital Orders
- Victims of Trafficking
- Victims of Torture
- Mental Health
- Victims of Modern Slavery
In terms of availability I am happy to do both face-to-face assessment and video assessments as each case merits including assessments in the persons own home and traveling to the person being assessed.
I also undertake assessments within prison and IRC settings
Qualifications and memberships
- MBBS Imperial College, London 1997
- MSc Imperial College, London 2002
- Gray’s Inn Course for Expert Witnessing Gray’s Inn Temple, 2006
- MRCPsych Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Part 1 (2005)
- Part 2 (2007)
- MBA (Healthcare Management) Open University 2018
- Family Law and Procedure Course Bond Solon 2020
- Civil Law and Procedure Course Bond Solon 2020
- Member of Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Member of General Medical Council
- Fellow of Royal Society of Medicine
- Member of Medical Protection Society
You can request to view the CV of any of our experts or contact us to discuss your requirements.