Dr Stephen Attard is an experienced consultant forensic psychiatrist who works in a prison and who provides expert evidence in criminal, civil and family proceedings.
Instructing Dr Stephen Attard
If you want to instruct Dr Attard or if you want to discuss using Dr Attard for your case, please contact us.
Experience of giving evidence
Dr Attard regularly gives oral evidence in court. He has given evidence in crown court on matters of fitness to plead, insanity, diminished responsibility and to assist the court in sentencing. As a practising psychiatrist he is used to giving his opinion about the suitability for hospital orders under the Mental Health Act 1983, as amended in 2007. In individuals where a restricted hospital order is required (under provision of sections 37/41 of the Mental Health Act), the court requires the oral evidence of at least one medical practitioner; Dr Attard has direct experience of giving such evidence. Dr Attard is familiar with giving evidence before the Health, Education and Social Care Chamber of the First-tier tribunal for mental health. Dr Attard speaks confidently and informatively.
Dr Attard has experience of providing psychiatric reports in various legal proceedings. He is most commonly instructed in the following types of cases:
- Fitness to plead and stand trial
- Issues at criminal trial including capacity to form intent, insanity, automatism and diminished responsibility
- Parole Board reviews and appeals
- Capacity (including matters before the Court of Protection)
- Housing (he is regularly asked to comment on whether someone has a disability within the meaning of the Equality Act 2010 and on specialist areas such as hoarding)
- Immigration (he is commonly asked to comment on the individual’s fitness to fly, the effect on the individual’s mental health in the event of their removal to their country of origin, and entitlement to be registered as a British citizen)
- Personal injury (he is often asked to form opinions about psychiatric harm, causation, and quantum)
- Public law proceedings under the Children Act 1989
Dr Attard dedicates time each week to his medicolegal practice. He is responsive and flexible when arranging assessments and visits. He is prompt in the delivery of his reports and is willing to take on urgent assessments without compromising on quality.
Qualifications & Professional memberships
MRCPsych (Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists)
Approved under Section 12(2) of the Mental Health Act 1983, as amended in 2007